Who we are
King’s College Hospital Charity
To fund the renovations of an old workhouse near Lincoln’s Inn Fields, the first King’s College Hospital appeal raised £10,000.
When financial crisis hit in the 1840s, Queen Victoria supported an appeal to raise £15,000 to expand the hospital, bestowing the Victoria and Albert Wards. The hospital opened in 1851.
King Edward laid the foundation stone of the Denmark Hill location in 1909 and the new King’s College Hospital was opened by King George V and Queen Mary on 29 July 1913.
And almost immediately, it was requisitioned by the military after the war started in 1914. We treated 75,000 wounded and injured soldiers over the course of three years. Throughout the war it was our friends, neighbours and members of the community who continued to donate money that supported our hospital.
We still rely on donations to help fund projects like:
- A pioneering volunteer programe which had trained and supported over 1,000 volunteers to help staff and improve patients' experiences of being in hospital.
- The £1.8 million refurbishment of our world-leading Children’s Liver Unit.
- Our CT scanner next to A&E, which is faster and has a higher resolution than any scanner in Europe.
- The research we’re doing on lung disease which will be used to tailor individual treatments and improve outcomes for patients who, on average, have a life expectancy of two to three years.
together we can... keep improving.
Find out more about King's College Hospital Charity, and visit our Get Involved section to find out how you can fundraise, volunteer and spread the word.