Who we are
Our charity dates back as far as 1247 when former Sheriff of the City of London, Alderman FitzMary donated the funds to create the Priory of St Mary of Bethlehem. Which went on to become the Bethlem Hospital.
We fund many different projects. Some of our present ones include:
- A peer support group that aims to reduce the risk of relapse by encouraging former service users to share their experiences with current users who are at high risk.
- An eating disorders service that takes a holistic and tailored approach to understanding not only the medical issues, but helps participants understand their feelings and build better relationships with those who can support them.
- The Learning Centre, a state of the art teaching facility which will support SLaM's mission to translate the learning from academic research into better patient care.
- The Animated Minds project interviewed people who have suffered mental distress to create a series of animated films which illuminate their experiences. The films will help to give audiences a greater understanding of what it feels like to live with various mental health difficulties.
- The Sydenham Garden Project which provides conservation and creative opportunities for local residents and in particular those with mental health problems.
together we can... help our charity